Wednesday, August 6, 2008

On Being In The Right Place

Do you remember that little ditty: “In fourteen hundred ninety two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue...”?

History tells us that Christopher Columbus left Spain in search of a route to Asia and was disappointed because he did not find what he was looking for, but somehow in his journey, he discovered a whole new world: the Americas. Was it an accident that Columbus did not find what he was looking for? It was no accident that Columbus discovered the Americas; it was by God’s will and design, and God’s timing is always right. It turned out that Columbus was in the right place at the right time, under God’s direction for a mighty revelation from Him.

Like Columbus, we might begin a journey with a certain destination in mind and find ourselves way off course. But you and I can be assured that wherever we are, it is always in the right place God wants us to be, even if it is for the sake of learning one of life’s many lessons.

Sometimes, we do not understand but God sees the big picture and either directs or permits us to be exactly where we are, though at the time it might not be pleasant for us.

Once I was driving in a strange area, looking for an address and things just did not seem right. I thought I had made all the right turns but eventually, I did not see landmarks I was told I would see and realized I was not in the place I should be. It was scary. I actually had to pull to the side of the road, become very quiet and seek God for a leading to find my way.

When I started on my way again, it was not long before I gained a sense of direction and was able to find the place of my destination. Not only that. Imagine my great surprise when, because of driving round and round in that area, I discovered a new and shorter route to get to another place that I travelled to very often. That was helpful because I had reason to be going to that other place very soon.

Did you ever wonder whether you are in the right place? Maybe this concerns your career, your place of residence, or maybe you are in a strange situation: one you are not at all accustomed to. You can be assured that God knows where you are and you can know the reason for being in that place if you would pause and seek an answer from God.

Scripture Help
“Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk...” (Psalm 143:8).

Dear God, help me to know I am in the right place for a revelation from you and help me to hear your voice as you speak to me. Amen.

No comments: