Friday, May 9, 2008

Dealing With Change

Last Friday evening, on the invitation of a friend, I visited a church in my neighbourhood to a Girls Nite Out event, part of which was a movie on Ruth the Moabitess. This story of Ruth is not new to me, however, the movie made quite an impact on me. It helped me realize there is nothing like seeing a Bible story in animation, well portrayed. Not only does watching the film bring life to the story but it allows one to think deeply on relevant parts of one’s life. This is exactly what the movie did for me.

This story of sorrow, grief, redemption and prosperity was beautifully portrayed on screen. Its simplicity, trust, bonding and kinship came through loud and clear, and moved me to think of a situation of mine that relates to change as well.

As I reflected on Ruth’s change of country and religion, I thought of my personal dilemma of giving up pastoral ministry and moving deeper into my radio and writing ministries for the Kingdom of God.

Years ago, I had felt a call of God on my life, went to Bible college and came to think pastoral ministry was what God wanted out of me. I started ministry with leading seminars and workshops and eventually got into pastoral ministry which went well for a time, then it began to crumble. Painfully, I began to see that such ministry was not for me and slowly came to the point of giving it up.

Giving up pastoral ministry after eighteen years was not an easy decision for me. I had toyed with it for about three years until finally, circumstances dictated that I could no longer carry on ministry to God in that capacity.

Now, through my writing ministry and the spoken word on “The Revealing Word” radio broadcast, I am more used of God in a broader, outreach manner, ministering to more people than ever before and I feel a deeper sense of fulfillment in my heart.

Let us get back to Ruth. This young woman could have become rebellious because of losing her husband, and avoided the company of Naomi, thinking it would help her forget her grief, but in obedience to the Lord’s leading, she went with her mother in law into a new experience and a new, prosperous life. It was a matter of what we commonly call destiny.

I have come to see that when God wants us to make changes, He begins by making changes in our hearts and re-directs our paths. Then there is the actual challenge of giving up what we once cherished, and going in another direction. However, as we learn to trust God, we also learn to yield to the deep urges that rise up within our hearts.

Like Ruth, I followed the deep urges of my heart and discovered that our God is a God of destiny and He leads us to whatever is highest and best for us. I have discovered too, that there is really nothing to fear if we trust God. When we roll our burdens over to Him with the full understanding that He is in charge of our lives it is then easier for us to walk the paths that He has directed for us. We then better understand the ups and downs of the cycles and seasons of life.

Watching that movie on the story of Ruth the Moabitess has blessed me. It has brought home to me the way God works more clearly. He is a God of destiny and plan and trusting Him implicitly is the way to go.

May the Lord richly bless you with His peace, love and prosperity.

No comments: