Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fret Not Yourself

Among our many human weaknesses, one of the most outstanding is fretting or complaining. A clear example of this is seen in the account of the children of Israel as they journeyed from bondage in Egypt to the Promised Land. They were limited in their thinking and behaviour and complained about everything: lack of food, water and physical comforts.

A fretful attitude shows either forgetfulness of the faithfulness of God or a lack of knowledge and belief in His promises and transforming power. However, by God's grace, a fretful attitude can be overcome with prayer and spiritual discipline.

The Scriptures reveal that God hates complaining but loves praises and “inhabits the praises of His people.” And there are always many blessings in our lives we can praise God for.

Are you a fretful person? Here is a little exercise. Spend some quiet time with yourself and speak firmly to yourself as though you are speaking to someone else:

“Every time I find myself fretting and complaining about the things I want and have not yet seen manifested, I shall count it as a sign that I need to recognize the truth that my God is daily loading me with benefits. And I shall pause and count my blessings and thank and praise God for them. I shall praise Him for every cell, every muscle, and every tissue in my body. I shall praise Him for His life coursing through me being. I shall praise Him for the spirit of power, love and sound mind He has given me. I shall praise Him for His love, His mercy and His goodness that endureth forever...”

The next time you become fretful, the Spirit of God will remind you of your spiritual exercise. Then seize the moment to bring that exercise into actuality by praising Him for what He has done, is doing and will continue to do in your life, and fretfulness will diminish as darkness does when light presents itself.

Heavenly Father, help me to recognize your benefits in my life and be thankful for them. Amen.

SCRIPTURE HELPS: Exodus 14:11; Psalm 37:1,7,8; Psalm 68:19; Isaiah 29:24.
THOUGHT FOR TODAY: God is daily loading me with benefits and is worthy of my praise.

No comments: