QUESTION: Is there really a heaven? And a hell?
ANSWER: We often hear that heaven and hell are right here upon this earth and that there is no other heaven or hell to be experienced. And though I do agree to some extent that heaven and hell are right here on this earth (because we do experience some reflections of both heaven and hell in our lives and affairs), I also believe there is a place or dimension in eternity called heaven, and if there is a “place” called heaven, there is also a “place” called hell.
Heaven is a place of peace, love and harmony profound, and hell is just the opposite...
The Bible teaches that:
• Heaven is a place; it is the abode of God (Psalm 103:19). It says: "The Lord hath prepared His throne in the heavens and His kingdom ruleth over all..." indicating that heaven is a place of sovereignty.
• When Jesus’disciples asked: "Lord, teach us how to pray," Jesus began His prayer with "Our Father, which art in heaven..." indicating that our Father is in a place called "heaven."
• Job 22:12 says: "Is not God in the height of heaven..." indicating God’s habitation is in the highest of the highest place in eternity.
• Revelation 4:1-5 tells us that "a door was opened in heaven"... and "a throne was set in heaven" indicating that there is a place called “heaven” where God dwells, and within His habitation there is a throne.
• 2 Chronicles 7:14 tells us that “if we humble ourselves and pray to God, He will hear from heaven...” and heal our circumstances.
THOUGHT FOR TODAY: A citizenship in heaven is the pearl of great price; it is the greatest citizenship to possess.
(c) Monica Hernandez, Th.D.